Wednesday, 01. July 2020, Online, History At Play SOIREE!
About this Event
History At Play SOIREES are 1-on-1 chat sessions just for you! Enjoy a once in a lifetime opportunity to speak LIVE with an influential woman who changed the world. SOIREES are 20-minute online conversations just for you, your company gathering, or private party.
Choose from any of the women in History At Play, LLC's repertoire! History At Play, LLC is Boston's premiere Immersive Living History Performance Troupe, presenting the stories of the most influential women from over 200 years of history, including the American Revolutionary War; Abolitionism; World War II; the Space Race; and NASA missions.
Book a 20-Minute SOIREE session with any of the following historic figures for $50 and get up close and personal with history!
- Deborah Sampson - America's first Female Soldier! Meet the woman who enlisted in the Continental Army, fought boldly, and was honorably discharged -- all the while hiding her true identity by dressing as a man and portraying “Robert Shurtlieff”. Deborah's passion will take you back in time!
- Chit Chat with “The Presidentess,” Dolley Madison: Enjoy a tête à tête with one of the most esteemed First Ladies in United States History! Wife to 4th United States President James Madison, Dolley shall regale you with tales of escaping the White House during the British attack on Washington City and explain how she protected the portrait of His Excellency George Washington.
- Suffragist and Abolitionist Lucy Stone: Celebrate the Centennial of Women’s Suffrage in the United States with the first woman from Massachusetts to earn a college degree, a fierce abolitionist, and a leader in the fight for women's rights. Lucy Stone was a fiery orator and a ferocious advocate - and the first woman to retain her maiden name after marriage; leading to the moniker "Lucy Stoner" for women who do just that!
- Victorian Gossip Girl: Annie Adams Fields: Boston literary scout, author, and philanthropist, Annie Fields had an incredible influence on literary decisions at her husband’s Tremont Street publishing house - Ticknor and Fields (the forerunner to Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company) - and had a great ear for gossip! Counting Nathaniel Hawthorne, Oliver Wendell Holmes, and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow amongst her closest friends, she witnessed a great deal of Victorian revelry at her waterside museum in Beacon Hill. No short of a Gossip Girl, Mrs. Fields wrote about her guests’ embarrassing moments in her novel "Authors and Friends" and shares them with you!
- Meet the The Unsung Heroines of WWII! Relive the triumphs of our greatest heroines who fought Fascism in WWII including, among others: Ann Baumgartner, a Woman Air Force Service Pilot (WASP) and the first woman to fly a jet plane in the world; Jane Fawcett, who worked at Bletchley Park in England to descramble the German Enigma machine; or Virginia Hall, the first female spy sent to ****-occupied France to organize the Resistance. Learn about the the most inﬂuential and often forgotten victories of the war.
- Soar with Christa McAuliffe, America's favorite "Teacher In Space": Meet the educational pioneer and internationally recognized Teacher in Space who changed history as the first educator to join NASA's Civilian in Space Project, aboard the Space Shuttle CHALLENGER. Discover the true story behind the incredible educator who inspired the world.
- Hedy Lamarr, "The Most Beautiful Woman in the World" and Technological Phenom!: Hedy Lamarr was a woman clouded in a fantasy world that only Tinseltown could create. Meet the phenom who escaped **** occupation in Austria in order to transform into the most beautiful woman in the world, while inventing technology that would forever change society. (*Please Note: HEDY LAMARR SOIREES are $75.)
See www.HistoryAtPlay.com for more information about the historic figures in our repertoire. Email email to schedule the date and time of your SOIREE session. SOIREES conducted LIVE via Zoom. No sexually lude content permitted. History At Play, LLC has the right to terminate a SOIREE Session without refund, if the participant behaves in an inappropriate manner (i.e. No beligerence, obvious intoxication, nor requests of a sexual nature permitted.)
History At Play, LLC was founded in 2010 by Artistic Director Judith Kalaora to chronicle the lives of influential and often forgotten women. Offering solo and ensemble immersive living history productions, History At Play, LLC is woman-owned and operated, with a commitment to employ artists from the region. Kalaora is a professional educator, writer, and living historian. She graduated from Syracuse University, Magna *** Laude, and completed the Globe Education Program of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre of London, UK. HAP, LLC is a New England Foundation for the Arts touring troupe; a recipient of numerous Massachusetts Cultural Council awards; a four-time winner of the Bob Jolly Charitable Trust Grant; and the 2019 recipient of the Dr. Bobby Gilmer Ross Lectureship Series Award, granted by the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution.